Saturday, February 16, 2019

Be Gracious Unto You

      My Rabbi, in his talk last night at Simcha Shabbat, reminded the congregants of the importance of being thankful. I had a note on my bulletin board, reminding me to be thankful. But, I do not have that visual reminder posted anymore. I removed the piece of paper, with the message. I thought I would remember. Now, when something extraordinary occurs, I recall to be thankful. But, I also need to be grateful everyday, for the small graces.
      The rabbi told the story of a grandmother who told her granddaughter on her wedding day, "I hope you have many small problems."
      "What an awful thing to say to me, of all days!" the granddaughter responded.
      "Ah," the grandmother said in her wise, slightly accented voice. "If you have many small problems, maybe you won't have a big one."
      The rabbi went on to explain--one response to minor glitches will train an individual for the serious crises. Same with graditude, if one makes being gracious a habit, then one will be ready to be very thankful for the important events, experiences, and relationships one encounters on life's journey.
      The rabbi added that an alternative to counting sheep to fall asleep, one could tick off the actions, objects, and people for which one feels gratitude.
      So today, two kind actions by strangers stand out--the guard at the African American Museum let my friend and I enter on one pass, not the two that are required; a man in the museum shop bought a postcard for me, when I told him the card was for my 91 year old mother, he said, "Bless her heart!"
The other day, a woman told me where I dropped my glove, and then a little girl picked it up for me. Common courtesy--yes; however, in these tense times, not so typical.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice
    Love the reminder to be grateful ; I can truly use it right now

    ReplyDelete